Warmwater Fly Fishing

An everyday joe providing information about fly fishing and fly tying for largemouth, smallmouth, bluegills, carp and other species.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southern

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

First day out in 2006 - White Bass

Some folks call them sand bass but here in Arkansas, we call them white bass. These hybrid creations of Striper decent are great fighters. Average weight is about 1 -3 pounds. I have used a 3 wgt. rod and let me assure you that a 5 wgt. is the proper choice.

I went out on Sunday, March 5th to my favorite location. This location holds white bass throughout the year - the quantity is based on if the creek had flooded that year or the year before. This creek is a tributary of the White River - the famed White River in Arkansas. However, this is the headwaters above Beaver Lake - waters flowing from the Boston Mountains, the largest range in the Ozarks.

Sometimes, if the White River floods and Beaver Lake backs up into the river, the creek will flood and leave more species than usual. The creek averages about 3 to 4 feet. However, last year, it rained very little and we are still in a drought.

Anyway, back to the white bass. Water temperatures usually have to peak at 55 degrees for white bass to start running or spawning. The males usually start moving at about 50 degrees or so. There is no limit for white bass on Beaver Lake or it's tributaries. Many folks from miles around flood certain accesses for a few weeks.

I didn't land any white bass - I know that they are downstream near the lake where some fly fishers have landed several - from boats.

Some patterns to use are Clousers, crawdads, anything with chartruese or white and minnow patterns. I have landed white bass on the Moss Bluff Special, White Zonker, and another creation which I received from a friend - a Clouser type pattern with bead chain eyes, yellow and white marabou body with wire ribbing, crystal flash and red thread behind the eyes with an olive head - about a size 8.

I'll try to make it out again this weekend but it looks like storms will be moving through. I am currently waiting for the seals on my boat to cure - about 7 days. I have an old leaky aluminium boat with an very old Johnson 7 1/2 hp motor - not to mention I still have to fix a flat tire on the trailer.

It's about 65 degrees right now and the water temperature will definitely hit 55 degrees this week.

I consider myself a warmwater fly fisher. Sure, landing trout is fun but those streams are starting to become crowded. Besides, who can resist landing bruisin' bluegills, smallmouth, and bucket mouths!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home