Warmwater Fly Fishing

An everyday joe providing information about fly fishing and fly tying for largemouth, smallmouth, bluegills, carp and other species.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southern

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

About me

I guess if you are reading my blogs, you probably want to know my background in fishing or more specifically, fly fishing.

I took my first tying class in 1987. It was at my high school, in my Algebra class. Along with about 5 other gentlemen, my father and I took the class together. I do believe he had been tying off and on for many years but I never really took interest in it. I was an impatient child. However, I did find that tying flies was very cathartic. Soon thereafter, we took casting classes at a local hockey rink. A hockey rink in Arkansas? No, I grew up in British Columbia, Canada.

It was there in B.C., that I learned to fish for trout. I never fly fished for them because I didn't have the patience to actually cast a rod on a lake and have good presentation. I never actually used one to land a fish until we moved here to Arkansas in the fall of 1989.

I tied the occassional fly and even cast a rod just a few times until about 1998. That's when I really got the bug - or the bass bug, HA! I was fishing at Bull Shoals and landing an occassional trout on a wooly bugger. I actually landed quit a few on Rooster Tails - rainbow colored - while the water was generating - from a boat going upstream.

To me trout were picky creatures and I still wasn't a very patient person. I also preferred casting to drifting. Bass and panfish just fit me perfectly. I tie most of my own patterns - most do get traded with other swappers. I enjoy tying with foam and especially popping bugs. I love to make them from foam, balsa, or deer hair. I even by the compressed foam bodies at the local fly shop and tie them up so they look as if they got a makeover - legs, feathers, paint and eyes too.

I will provide some pics soon and blog about tying. My fishing time is limited but this year, I will get to spend a lot more time on the water. I will be fishing places I've never been before - locations within 30 minutes of my home.

At this point, I am now more educated about wamwater fly fishing than my father - although, he probably would let you know otherwise. He is a superior tyer and has sold flies to several shops over the years and used to be regularly published in a local paper. He is also a superior fly fisherman and always seems to land more trout than me. However, I take him out to my "lucky" spots and land fish after fish as he becomes frustrated and ends up taking a flie tied by myself or friend.

I have a lot to learn about fly fishing and have a lot of improving to do on fly tying. I do like to share my knowledge with other people - seems to be a lot of new fly fisherman every year. My father passed on fly fishing to me which was passed from his father - maybe my two boys will pick it up too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home