Warmwater Fly Fishing

An everyday joe providing information about fly fishing and fly tying for largemouth, smallmouth, bluegills, carp and other species.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southern

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Learning new waters

At lunch, I went to a local pond. It is very windy today, I had some issues casting. A high pressure system came through and then dropped out along with the temperature. So, I wasn't expecting much action. In fact, I didn't land one fish nor get a strike.

I thought about how many times I had fished there and not caught a fish. The pond is rocky, especially closer to the bank. I do think that most of the fish hang out about 10 or 15 feet from the bank. Sure, I've caught several at the edge or close by but this pond is heavily pressured.

What makes this pond unique is that it is very large and has an island in it. I believe this pond to be at least 5 acres or so. It holds just about every warmwater species - even carp. the carp hang out at one end where most people don't go due to the slushyness - not much of a bank at one end. This pond overflows and runs into Clear Creek which flows into the Illinois River. You an catch smallies in Clear Creek too - Clear Creek runs out of Lake Fayetteville. Also, the pond is on a farm. The owners let anyone fish there but not at night. There is a bin for trash too. Folks rarely litter and get along fairly well.

So, since I think it odd not to catch many fish near the bank and I figure it may be pressure from other anglers - and I am not really sure about that - I want to find out how this pond fishes.

I have challenged myself to fish this pond at least once a week for a year to see how the fish and the pond is affected by weather, temperature and other aspects of nature and man.

For one year or so, I fished Richland Creek more than 100 times. I would fish it several days in a row - several times in a day - time after time. I found that in the spring, if the water level was high, there were holes that held crappie and white bass. Later on in the summer, when the water level dropped, I found out where the sunfish were hiding. Later on near August, suckers and Red Horse would come in to spawn - literally hundreds. Large schools of white bass would become trapped in low water areas too. Kentucky bass would hang out in the sun at the end of riffles waiting on insects - they would take my sowbugs. In the sunny mornings and evenings, large bass and carp would hang out on a clear sandy bank amongst stumps and brambles.

I found out where to fish the creek based on water levels, temperature, and seasons. There really isn't much in the way of insect hatches - although, you can drift damsel flies and stoneflies too. I learned the first half mile of the creek. My goal is to wade further upstream and locate other areas - such as I found a good place for carp this weekend about 100 yards upstream from my favorite hole.

Hopefully, I can find the keys to fishing this pond - maybe land a few of those large carp. Each water you fish is different - although there are many similarities, each body or stream seems to have that something that unlocks it's secrets.

Somebody asked me if I caught anything today. I said,"No." The reply was, "That stinks." I said, "It's not about catching fish." Fly fishing is a form of catharcism to me. Almost like fly tying. It gives me a chance to learn - something new - something to motivate me - get me outdoors - make me happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home